Preparing a meal for someone is an act of love, says Charmaine D’Souza, a nutritionist and a writer of many kitchen exploits. In her latest book, The Good Health Always Cookbook, D’Souza, along with her two daughters, Charlyene and Savlyene, offers the reader a peep into her childhood memories and her comfort food. Read on for a delicious vegan recipe from her book.
VEGAN JACKFRUIT ‘PULLED PORK’ BURGERS
( Chefs the world over are using raw jackfruit in vegan cookery because the unripe flesh has a pork-like texture. The shredded fruit is a popular alternative to pulled pork and is now being used as a vegetarian pizza topping and a filling for tacos. It has a hard bite and absorbs the spices and flavours of a dish just like meat. Try this recipe for our burgers. You will soon become a jackfruit convert. -Savlyene)
Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
- 4 whole wheat garlic buns
- For The Jackfruit Filling
- 400 gms green jackfruit ( Save the seeds for a curry or hummus)
- 2 tablespoons jaggery sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika powder (or you can use red chilli powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon star anise powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (preferably vegan. To be used for the filling as well as for serving)
- For the Mixed Vegetable Slaw
- 1 cup finely sliced mixed vegetables (onions, cabbage with the outer leaves and inner core, carrots with the peel and red, green and yellow bell peppers with the inner pith and seeds)
- 1 tablespoon jaggery or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl mix the ingredients for the Mixed Vegetable Slaw thoroughly to ensure that the veggies marinade in the seasonings. You may need to add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Mix the jackfruit with the rest of the filling ingredients ( with the exception of the oil and BBQ sauce) and toss them well to coat each bit.
- Keep this aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat a pan and add the oil.
- Add the marinated jackfruit and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup BBQ sauce and 1 cup water and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using 2 forks shred the jackfruit as it cooks in the sauce.
- Once the shredded jackfruit has properly cooked, turn up heat and cook for 2 more minutes. Then remove from the stove top.
- Cut the whole wheat garlic buns in half and put 2 heaped tablespoons of the mixed vegetable slaw on the bottom buns.
- Top with a generous serving of the shredded jackfruit filling and cover with the other half of the bun.
- Alternatively you can omit the slaw and just use thinly sliced onions and tomatoes.
- Serve with the remaining BBQ sauce.
NUTRITIVE VALUE per serving
- Energy-206.33 kcal
- CHO-30.09 gms
- Protein-3.29 gms
- Fat-8.09 gms
- Sodium-366.53 mg
- Potassium-525.94 mg
- Calcium-90.88 mg
- Iron-1.51 mg
- Vitamin A-3.83 mcg
- Vitamin C-30.61 mg
FEEDBACK Having seen Savios post on FB about how Charmaine had fooled him by replacing a pulled pork burger with a pulled jackfruit burger I asked her for the recipe. My husband is a staunch non-vegetarian and I am elated to say that he too got fooled. The burger was hot, juicy and wonderful. Best of all no fear of cholesterol and fat. No more pork for us! Thanks to team GHA. – Cheryl Lopes, Mumbai.